We know you can’t compromise on your scientific results just because your water is bad. Emphor DLAS explains various concerns regarding using water and how this can be solved effectively.
Different types of water are used on the laboratory desk for various experiments. For example, a Type I+ grade of water is used for sensitive applications such as graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry while Type III is used for most general purpose like rinsing beaker etc. So, how do we choose the right grade of water for various experiments? Emphor DLAS, a leading analytical science solution provider in the UAE takes a dive into knowing about it MORE.
There are a few key factors that need to be considered when DEFINING the various properties of water used.
- Conductivity is measured as micro Siemens per centimeter at 25°C and is the reciprocal of resistivity and produces a measure of fluid’s ability to conduct electricity. The process examines the concentration of ion is various kinds of water, ranging from raw water to drinking water.
- Resistivity is measured as ohms per centimeter at 25°C. Resistivity is inversely proportional to conductivity. As such, it also provides a measure of the water’s ion content. Resistivity is used for assessment of ultrapure water.
- Water contains many organic compounds. It is impossible to check every organic content in water therefore the most practical indicator is checking the total organic content in water. The process involves oxidizing organic compounds and quantifies the oxidation products. TOC is considered a universal indicator of organic impurities in the solution. Chromatographic techniques may be employed to determine the specifics of organic content, but this is frequently considered both too expensive and time-consuming to be used in general monitoring workflows.
- In untreated water, the presence of bacteria and microorganisms is a prevalent issue. The bacterial level is measured as colony-forming units per milliliter. UV treatment, filtration and sterilant solution are some common methods to make free from biological contamination. Following an incubation period in suitable growth media, individual bacterial species and total viable cell counts can be determined. Epifluorescence test can be used to distinguish between dead and living organisms in the water. In addition to the bacteria themselves, endotoxins produced from the cell wall of gram-negative microorganisms can be assessed using standard tests based on Limulus Amebocyte Lysate activity.
- Water turbidity is caused by suspended particles in water. This is measured in Nephelometric Turbidity Units, NTU. Turbid water isn’t laboratory usable. Such water may contain iron, silica, aluminum or organic materials. The Fouling Index is frequently used to estimate the potential of water to block filters under 0.45µm filter conditions.
There are several international boards working on to establish a degree of consistency in the standards of water purity. Once the standard is established, it’s easier to generate accurate data. Some standards are regionally based and overlooked by their respective scientific agencies. However, very few of these standards are specific to a particular application.
The Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute has come up with designations such as Type I, II and III, rater than identifying water by ‘fit for purpose’. Only one grade of water has been designated for laboratory purposes, Clinical Reagent Laboratory Water. The CLSI has also briefly outlined other grades such as Special Reagent Water and Instrument Feed Water.
Emphor DLAS sells one of the trusted water quality analyzers in the UAE. Pure water Purification systems by Evoqua is one of the most trusted products available. It is also an excellent source of water for glassware washing, and as feed water for laboratory equipment such as autoclaves, laboratory dishwashers, and water baths. It is also a recommended source of pretreated water for your Type 1 ultrapure systems.
Type 2 (pure) water or pure lab water is used for a wide range of applications:
- Cytology + histology work
- Buffer preparation
- Photometry and spectrophotometry
- Media preparation
- General Chemistry
- Feed for laboratory ultra-pure water systems
- Final Rinse of laboratory washing machines
Order your system for your lab today and find the right results to provide better inferences for your findings. Follow the page www.emphordlas.com to check out various lab products in the Middle East and Africa.